Sunday, May 6, 2012

Black snot

The title will become clear in a min heh.

We got back from the concert about 15mins ago which was just after 3am.
WOW

We left the house at 7, got there a little before 10.

It was fun and sucky at the same time.
I'll list good stuff first.

There were 3 stages. One was just a tiny little stage and the other 2 were the main stages and were connected.
First band went on at 11:30 or around that time, and it was almost continuous after that. A band would go on on the small stage, then one of the big ones, then the other big one. There was maybe a 15-30min break in between each band, but that was it so yeah, pretty continuous which was awesome if you wanted to get up and walk back and forth which neither of us did since we weren't interested in some of them.
We found a great spot to put down the blanket (or so we thought), and basically stayed there the entire time, other than going to the bathroom obviously).

Most of the bands sounded fantastic. There were a couple that were just meh, but most did not disappoint.
I was most excited to see Korn and they did not disappoint my expectations.

Overall it was really fun and I'm glad we went.

Now for the bad...

The bathrooms were porta-potties. GROSS & HOT. That's the only words to describe them. It is nasty as hell stepping in to one, feeling like a sauna and spotting the giant log someone left inside. You don't want to look but you can't help it. Thankfully most of them didn't stink, but some did and good lord.... GAG.
There were a ton of the bathrooms, but the thing is, they were all clumped together right at the entrance.... the opposite side of the festival from the main stage where we settled down on our blanket. And of couse being pregnant and it being hot as hell out, I had to drink water continuously which made me have to pee almost every 40mins. I took many many many unwanted trips to those gross poo cans.

And as I mentioned, it was HOT outside. I dunno why the hell these festivals insist on doing these things when it is definitely going to be hot. Hell, even doing it a month earlier, there's a chance of it being cool, or at least a little cooler. People were dropping all over the place, even though there was free water (which was located at the entrance so you had to take a trek back to there if you wanted a refill). The EMTs were def busy during the day.
I got a little sunburned. Thankfully it's not that bad, only hurts if I were to scratch the area for whatever reason.
SO glad I decided to wear a tank top instead of a regular t-shirt as I usually wear.
There were actually IDIOTS there wearing jeans and t-shirts. T-shirts, not that bad, but jeans?? Come on. And most of them were bigger folks and as a bigger person... we get hot easily so I know they had to be miserable VERY quickly. I don't care if you are goth or rocker or whatever... put on some damn shorts when you go out in hot weather!

Now the spot we did pick to put down our blanket was nice. We weren't super close to the main stages, but close enough to see both well anyway. There were a bunch of other blanket folk around us too.
It was all good until the bands started to play on those stages. Of course it seemed like in front of us was right where EVERYONE wanted to make a path. Most of the people were courteous and actually watched where they were walking, but there were some that didn't give a shirt and stepped ALL over everyone's blankets. I actually saw a guy step on a woman that was laying down. How the hell do you not see someone laying down?? And then he didn't even stop and apologize to her, just kept on going like he didn't even notice. WTH?
And me being pregnant, I just couldn't stand for very long. Even though I was drinking a lot of water, I was still getting a lot of aches in my abdomen so would have to sit down during a bands performance.... which meant most of the time, I couldn't see shit other than asses and people's legs walking by.
A few of those times, I actually had to sit b/c the heat was getting to me. Zoe didn't move until I got something cold in me, and even then, it was only a few movements and she would stop so I know LO was not happy with the heat. I'd pour water over my head to try to keep myself cooled off and DH bought us a lot of minute maid frozen treats they were selling to help try to cool us off as well.
UGH that sun was just brutal though.

Anywho! The people constantly passing by our blanket wouldn't have been so bad, except the ground was mostly dirt and dried up dead grass. You could not help but end up getting filthy. I was covered in sweat and dirt almost the entire time. It was pretty disgusting but there was absolutely no avoiding it.
When a band was done on one of the main stages, a lot of people would move to the smaller stage or go to the bathrooms or whatever. A HUGE dust cloud would follow.
When DH and I got home, we had to take a shower. Hoping my nose will produce some mucus for me here in a bit so I can blow it to clean it out. Black snot..... that's what's up there. I also have black ear wax too which is a new one for me. I also want to get the cig smoke smell out of my nose.

And speaking of cig smoke.... since this was an outdoor event... it was a free-for-all on the smoking and OF COURSE... the breeze always made us downwind of the chain smokers. It got so bad that it actually started to make me feel sick to my stomach. Thankfully I didn't puke or anything, but there was a few gagging moments b/c of it. Another thing you couldn't avoid at all even if you tried. It was like every damn smoker in SC and NC turned up for this concert and just HAD to stand right next to us.
And don't get me started on how inconsiderate most of the smokers were.
Like I said, in front of us seemed to be main traffic in and out of our area so a lot of smokers walking by with lit cigs. Now some of them did try to kind of shield their cigs with their hands so they didn't burn anyone. But most didn't give a flying shit and just held their cigs out to bump in to whoever was unfortunate enough... and trust me when I say that when a band was performing, people were packed tight in that area so I know people were getting burned by these assholes.
Also.... we seemed to be downwind of every damn weed smoker in our section too. Hell, there was an older couple that were standing in front of us that lit one up and.. yep.. smoke came right our way. :\
I'm not against smoking it if that's what you want to do, there are worse things out there people could be doing, but it's the same with cigs. The shit stinks to high heaven and being pregnant, yeah, not something I wanna have to smell or be in the vicinity of.

If you ever wonder if people are animals... yes... yes we are.
I feel sorry for whoever had to clean up that place after everyone left. DISGUSTING. That is what people are. A trashcan that is maybe 5 feet away and people would still throw their shit on the ground.
It's like how people treat public bathrooms. They do not give a shit so long as THEY'RE not the ones that have to clean it up.

This complaint isn't that bad... but Evanescence(sp?) was there as well. They sounded great. The singer was really good, and for the first couple of songs... YAY, but after that.. holy crap BORING. I'm just not a fan. I mean I like some of their songs (which they performed), but it dragged. They were only on for I think 50 something minutes and it felt like forever. Their songs are long and just boring as hell and everyone thought it which was bad. You could see a lot of people in our area moving out or sitting down after a couple of songs b/c yeah... it just wasn't entertaining at all after that unfortunatly.

And finally.. last complaint... getting out of the place was a damn nightmare. Shinedown was the last band, but by then, DH and I were already near the entrance b/c we had to pee. It was dark so we packed up all our stuff and moved that way to get away from the crowd. Well we left after a few songs (seemed like half the people left after Korn).
Now if you got to this place super early... you parked on the right side, if you got there a little later, you were waved over to the left to this big field.
Welp, apparently the MORON directing traffic out of this place didn't realize just how many cars were over on the left side b/c they let everyone on the right leave before the left side. We were stuck in the parking area for 2 HOURS. We would've been there longer, but people finally got fed up and found their own way out by driving through this lightly wooded field and driving over the little embankment. When we FINALLY got to that point, we said F it, took that option and was out in 10mins.
That was so frickin frustrating it's not even funny. We'd literally sit still for about 20minutes before we moved MAYBE a car length... and that was only if someone had managed to weasel their way in to the line of cars trying to get out.
So yeah, a big frickin F YOU to the idiots who didn't know WTF they were doing directing traffic. How hard is it to alternate each side? 10 from the right, 10 from the left. NOT THAT FRICKIN DIFFICULT.

Oh and one more thing... I have a smokers cough now. AWESOME. Forgot to mention that. I just couldn't help it after a while. I started to cough whenever I smelled it and it has completely screwed up my throat today.

Anyway... I know I had a lot to bitch about, but really OVERALL it was fun and hope we get to do it again. Of course not with the LO in tow any time soon though heh.

No comments: